The Nurse Refresher Program focuses on current nursing practice as related to the clinical area of medical-surgical nursing care. It is designed to meet the educational needs of nurses who have been out of the clinical setting and desire to re-enter the clinical workplace; and/or as part of the New Mexico Board of Nursing (BON) requirement for licensure reactivation. The focus of the course is to expand the nurse’s knowledge and skills by applying information related to new technology, current nursing trends, and legal requirements to previously acquired formal education and skills competency. The theory portion of the class is conducted in an online classroom with weekly assignments, quizzes and a final exam. A course average of 77% is required to pass the online modules as well as 90% on the dosage exam.
The online modules are followed by a 72-90 hour RN precepted clinical practicum that meets the requirement of the New Mexico BON nurse refresher requirements. The clinical practicum should be performed within four weeks of completion of the online modules but no later than 6 months of the temporary license issuance. Participants must provide their own transportation to and from clinical sites. A grade of 80% or higher is required to pass the clinical portion of the class. Successful completion of both parts of the class are required to pass the class.
Prerequisites to enroll:
- Completed and approved application
- Active or lapsed NM nursing license, or be eligible for endorsement or temporary licensure in NM.
- Able to navigate and participate within an online classroom environment
- Access to a desktop or laptop computer or other device compatible with online learning
Other requirements prior to start of the clinical practicum:
- Record of up-to-date vaccinations
- Must be in good physical and psychological health per recent physical exam
- Current Healthcare Provider LIfe Support (CPR) certificate and other documentation of training that includes, but is not limited to HIPAA and Bloodborne pathogen training
- Urine drug screening
- State and federal felony caregivers criminal history background check with fingerprints*
Included in the course fees: Cost of the routine urine drug screen and criminal background check are included. An e-book access code is included in the price of the class, however, participants are welcome to purchase a hard copy of the textbook on their own: ISBN-13: 978-0323377768, Health Assessment for Nursing Practice, 6th Ed., by Susan F. Wilson, RN, PhD, CS, FNP and Jean Forret Giddens, PhD, RN, FAAN
*Participants with a disqualifying felony conviction can appeal some of those convictions through the New Mexico Department of Health. Depending on the program, students may or may not be allowed to remain in the program, pending appeal. Participants who do not successfully appeal a disqualifying conviction will not be allowed to start or remain in this course and will not receive a refund. A successful appeal does not guarantee eligibility for licensure after graduation in professions that require licensure.