The Nurse Refresher Program focuses on current nursing practice as related to the clinical area of medical-surgical nursing care. It is designed to meet the educational needs of nurses who have been out of the clinical setting and desire to re-enter the clinical workplace; and/or as part of the New Mexico Board of Nursing (BON) requirement for licensure reactivation. The focus of the course is to expand the nurse’s knowledge and skills by applying information related to new technology, current nursing trends, and legal requirements to previously acquired formal education and skills competency. The theory portion of the class is conducted in an online classroom with weekly assignments, quizzes and a final exam. A course average of 77% is required to pass the online modules as well as 90% on the dosage exam.
The online modules are followed by a 72-90 hour virtual clinical that meets the requirement of the New Mexico BON nurse refresher requirements. A grade of 80% or higher is required to pass the clinical portion of the class. Successful completion of both parts of the class are required to pass the program.
Prerequisites to enroll:
- Active or lapsed NM nursing license, or be eligible for endorsement or temporary licensure in NM.
- Completed and approved application (available at https://cnmingenuity.org/program/healthcare-programs/)
- Able to navigate and participate within an online classroom environment
- Access to a desktop or laptop computer or other device compatible with online learning and fast and reliable internet connection. (Webcam recommended, but not required).
- Ability to meet program technical requirements, (available at https://cnmingenuity.org/program/healthcare-programs/) with or without reasonable accomodations. Persons with disabilities should contact the program manager as soon as possible to request accomodaations.
Other requirements prior to start of the clinical practicum (further instructions will be issued upon start of the program):
Included in the course fees: An e-book access code to the health assessment text is included in the price of the class, however, participants are welcome to purchase a hard copy of the textbook on their own: ISBN-13: 978-0323377768, Health Assessment for Nursing Practice
, 6th Ed., by Susan F. Wilson, RN, PhD, CS, FNP and Jean Forret Giddens, PhD, RN, FAAN.
An access code to the virtual simulations will be provided.
*Participants with a disqualifying felony conviction can appeal some of those convictions through the New Mexico Department of Health. Depending on the program, students may or may not be allowed to remain in the program, pending appeal. Participants who do not successfully appeal a disqualifying conviction will not be allowed to start or remain in this course and will not receive a full refund. A successful appeal does not guarantee eligibility for licensure after graduation in professions that require licensure.